Nous sommes le 28 Mar 2024, 12:20

Heures au format UTC

Auteur Message
 Sujet du message: newbie questiions
MessagePosté: 16 Sep 2020, 10:44 

I often read "foil pied avant" / "foil pied arriere".
What exactly does it mean? I see this is very important when you have to choose the right board for the foil (or viceversa). Could you please help me to better figure what are the main features both kind of boards and sails have to be part of the 2 families?

thx

Sujet du message: Re: newbie questiions
MessagePosté: 16 Sep 2020, 11:10 

Localisation: Nouvelle-Calédonie (22° S.), Kanaha, Kihei (21° N.)
Foil pied avant means that you have to put pressure on the font foot, because the board/foil combo is powerful, and tends to point towards the sky easily.
Foil pied arrière means that you need exert pressure on the back foot in order to take off and maintain your flight, because the board/foil combo is not very powerful.

MessagePosté: 14 Jan 2021, 11:40 

I read about the importance of mast stiffness to improve the foil performance. Is it more important the flexion or the torsion stiffness? And also, what if you have a super stiff mast but the connections are not at same level? And still, do the wing and stab need to be super stiff?

About the normal fins i've learnt there's no the best fin in absolute but there's the best fin for ourselves. I can't probably push right a fin built for a powerful guy as it would probaby be too stiff for my weight and power.
Is it the same with the foils?

MessagePosté: 14 Jan 2021, 14:22 

Giu,

Don’t worry about stiffness for now. All masts (aluminum or carbon) on the market have appropriate performance for beginner and intermediate foilers. You only start worry about stiffness for advanced users at the competition or professional level. They are not worth the money at this point for you.

Similarly, you cannot compare the limitations/stiffness of fins to a foil mast, it is simply a different mode of operation (lateral versus vertical loads). Again, any mast on the market would work for you.

I am pretty heavy and I would recommend you to get the biggest wing as you can as (I have 2000cm2 and I recommend at least 1000cm2). You also want to have that is not too short. A mast 75cm or less may feel reassuring but actually will limit your progression. A length of 85 cm is the sweet spot for a beginner.

Level: planning, foiling, no jibe, no waterstart
Board: Phantom Iris R Mk2 91, Starboard Foil 144
Foil: Starboard Race range + Starboard Supercruiser range
Sail: Phantom Iris Rf 9.0m2 + Neilpryde V8 9.4m2 + Neilpryde V8 flight 8m2 6m2 + Neilpryde Free flight 4.8m2
Playground: Moraine State Park, Erie Presque Isle, Lac Bay Bonaire, Florida Keys

MessagePosté: 14 Jan 2021, 15:35 

Yes Lolo, you're right. At my beginner stage any (rightly choosen) stuff will work fine for me.
But I also like to learn how does stuff work and the effects of different settings and set ups.

Heures au format UTC